Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Model 19 reverberant chamber

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Model 19 reverberant chamber

    I've seen talk on the net about the function of the upper chamber in the Model 19. Specifically that it was a reverberant chamber. In one of my shop built enclosures, I did not join the upper and lower chambers. Other than further extending the bass, am I missing something? If I am, is the size of the opening between the upper and lower sections critical?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 reverberant chamber

    Technically, it's an acoustic band-stop filter, which normally is used to notch out a peak in a signal's response and while I haven't modeled it, it seems more a byproduct of the desired 'look' than intentional performance tweak since the net volume [Vb] combined with large vent area [Av] of it implies a very high tuning, not to mention I've never seen/heard anything from Altec about it, so apparently of no marketing benefit. In short, a doubled tuned reflex.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 reverberant chamber

    Thanks GM. I figure 3-4" holes would do it. You agree?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 reverberant chamber

    ???
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 reverberant chamber

    I meant 3 4" holes in the underside of the upper cabinet and the same in the lower; the cabinets separated by the specified riser/throat.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 reverberant chamber

    You're welcome!

    Well, this will tune the resonator [horn box] lower than stock due to the vent will being smaller. Since this is a simple Helmholtz resonator its tuning [Fb] can be 'ballparked' with an online calculator, but can't find my notes where I calculated its net volume.

    Ideally need to measure your two to see how it affects the frequency response.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.